Monday, February 22, 2010

Yield



When I first thought about the concept of yielding I was thinking about surrendering, submitting or relinquishing. Giving up possession of something or perhaps giving up control of some situation or relationship. I figured that if it’s hard for me to give up my time, talents, money, control, etc. that it’s hard for others as well.

What I found when I started looking deeper at this word is that I like the other definitions of this word much better. I love the idea of yielding as bearing fruit or producing something after cultivation or receiving a return on an investment. That’s a much more positive way to look at this idea of yielding.

And, of course, when I started searching the Bible for the word yield that’s exactly what I found. There are, naturally, tons of references to yielding in relation to actual crops. There are also lots of figurative references to bearing fruit. We all know that the Spirit produces in us the fruit of love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5: 22-23 NKJV).

I love the idea of bearing fruit as described in Psalm 1.

1 Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

(Psalm 1: 1-3 NKJV)

I love the image of the tree planted by streams of water. I particularly love this Psalm because someone mentioned it in describing my grandmother as she was dying a few years ago. I’ll never forget that comparison. Her roots went deep. Her delight was in the Lord. She cultivated her relationship with God. As a result her life yielded the fruit of faithfulness.

From this Psalm and from thinking about my grandmother’s life, I learned that there is some surrendering, submitting and relinquishing required in bearing fruit or receiving a return on an investment. As the sign above suggests, my original thoughts on yielding were about being required to give up or surrender to something or someone. However, the beautiful thing about God is that He allows us the choice. He never forces us to submit to His will. We’re certainly better off if we do. If we delight in Him, he will give us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4).

Just like my grandmother, if we sink deep into the soil of His Word, we will bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Others will notice that fruit and know that we love Him and will want a relationship with Him as well.

And, isn’t it our ultimate goal to yield fruit through sharing our faith?

3 comments:

  1. Great post on this five letter word that means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post on a small five letter word that means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the double comments I'm making today. Thought it didn't take, so did it again! lol

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!