Monday, February 1, 2010

A Juggling Act

I’ve never learned how to juggle balls, but as a wife and mother who teaches her children at home, I’ve learned over the years how to juggle responsibilities. By the grace of God through my status as full-time homemaker, I’ve learned something of the arts of cooking, baking, nursing, and teaching. For years I’ve been trying to perfect these and the other arts necessary to manage a home successfully. I will admit that there was a time when I thought of these tasks as menial. But, now that I have these responsibilities, I know how much skill it takes. It’s just plain tough.

The other day I decided to do something that would throw a wrench into this perpetual juggling act. I signed up for a gym membership. Admittedly, I should have prayed over this decision a bit more, but before I knew it I’d signed my life away. Okay, not my life, but a substantial monthly fee. Now, to justify the expense, I find myself exercising four times a week. All this exercise gobbles up a lot of valuable time, so now I feel more stress than ever and I’m constantly fatigued. Ironic, isn’t it? I thought that exercise was supposed to give you more energy and take away stress? For me, it’s just not panning out that way. So what have I learned from this?

1) Exercise is good for the body, but God renews the soul. He alone brings life.

2) That where I am deficient God is abundant. Um, I’m not that smart. Or organized. So who’s going to get credit for raising children who are intelligent, productive, God-honoring citizens? God will receive all the glory and only I will know how far short I fall and how little credit I deserve.

3) All I have to do is obey. What a relief. I do not control the outcome. I only control the degree of my submission.



Verses for consideration: Timothy 4:8, Isaiah 40:29, Galatians 6:9, Lamentations 3:22-24

2 comments:

  1. I, also, am feeling the pressure of the juggling act:
    childcare giver/teacher/disciplinarian + couponer/menu-planner/shopper/cook + maid + wife + Pampered Chef consultant + budget keeper + God seeker = exhausted mother/wife - close friends (except grateful, best-friend husband) + humble servant (because God gave me the girls to help me learn patience.)

    Thank you for your lessons learned. I am grateful to have some POSITIVE words of wisdom to lean on to counteract those frustrating moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mjbacon,
    I like the break down you gave for the juggling act. It's so true. It reminds me of that act where the guy spins all these plates on these poles at the same time and tries to keep them all going!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!