Monday, February 15, 2010

February Financial Fast, Day 15

Well, we've passed the half-way point and so far, it is looking pretty good. I am almost ashamed to say that the pantry and freezer have barely seen a dent in their stockpiles. The refrigerator, on the other hand, is getting pretty bare. The milk is gone, much to my daughter's dismay, but we have a dozen eggs and there are still 3 – 4 bottles of juice as well as cheese and plenty of baby carrots, apples and oranges.

However, the great benefit of all of this has not been the grocery expenses. It has been all the other little things. A cup of coffee here, drive-thru there, a candy bar for the kid, more yarn (I admit, I am a bit of an addict), more clothes, movie rentals that end up being kept until there are late charges, just SO MUCH STUFF. And for what? What were these things adding to our lives? I am not saying that we will continue to be this strict after this experiment is over, but I can already see the changes both in my and my husband's thinking and in out daughter's. We're reading more, cooking at home more, playing (borrowed) video games together. It is definitely so much of an awakening that already I have to recommend that you and your family try this when you can.

One admission I do have to make, however, is one slip-up. One day last week, I had a migraine and my husband was sick. He drove our daughter to his parents' house for the night and, on the way back, picked up fast food so neither of us would have to cook dinner and could just eat and then go to bed early. At the time, I was terribly thankful for the exception, but now I feel the guilt of it. That was $10 gone to feed two people a single meal. So, no, we are not perfect in this endeavor – not that I expected to be – but I think, over all, we are doing quite well. Here's to 13 more days of recognizing our true blessings and coming to a better understanding of needs vs. wants!

3 comments:

  1. Erica, I am so inspired by your financial fast that Chris and I started talking about maybe trying it ourselves. Please keep us updated.

    To all four ladies co-authoring this blog: I want to send my heartfelt thanks for sharing your hearts and lives with us. In the last couple of days I have gone back and read all entries from the beginning. Besides the fact that each of you is a talented writer, I found myself being so uplifted and encouraged by your words.

    Sometimes being a cancer mommy can feel very isolating (which comes partially from limits imposed by Peyton's illness and also from within myself). Your willingness to share your journeys made me feel connected and reminded me of the kind of Christian woman I want to strive to be.

    Thank you for being such a blessing. I am looking forward to continuing to read Far Above Rubies. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Erica! To be at the half way mark is such a milestone! I'm on the sidelines cheering you on! Forget about the fast food run, just a little reminder that we may slip and fall sometimes, but the important thing is that we get back up! Praise God for your beautiful revelation and thank you for continuing to inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the success thus far! I think the last few words of your blog are so important. It's really about 'needs' vs. 'wants'. When people (including myself!) can differentiate between those two vital words then a lot of changes could be made.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!