Saturday, February 20, 2010

Singing Hallelujah!

Yesterday, my family was invited to have a family devotional with friends from church. Roberto, our gracious (and comical) host explained how he and his wife Jeana used to have group singing every week through college and how inspiring those moments were to their spiritual encouragement.

As with most of us, life gets busy and it’s so easy to let go of simple, important pleasures. They sought to revive their first love of having weekly devotions...and I’m so glad they did! We talked, we laughed, we ate (eating is always good, right?), but most of all, we sang our hearts out!

It’s beautiful to listen to the medley of voices…what a sweet aroma it must be to God. We all sing in worship service, but singing along freely and earnestly with friends at home just does something to you!

We took turns choosing songs…each person picking nostalgic hymns from childhood or suggesting favorite harmonious selections. Not only did I learn a lot of new songs, but I got excellent song practice as well. Everyone sang out, even looking up occasionally as if to tell God, "I love you so much for what you are doing in my life."

Ephesians 5:19 tells us to "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs..." Now that’s a great way to encourage one another! As we ended our evening, we locked arms and sang "Bind Us Together" and prayed for the families that were represented in our gathering. Simply put, it was a great way to end the week. I think we’ll host it next time.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my college days Kenya. I so miss those times at the UTC Christian Student Center. We had weekly devos and sometimes would sing for hours. There is nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me, too, Jennifer. Those times at the UTC CSC where everyone would sing their heart out are special memories. I'd love to revive that kind of uplifting singing and heartfelt devotion with Christian friends/family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now reading this, Kenya...we need to have another singing! It was certainly special!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!