Saturday, June 9, 2012

Seriously, God? Again? - Hannah's Story, Part Two

For Part One of this post, please click here.


“They” say life goes on…and mine did. I felt at peace about giving away the baby items and went about my life. Always still praying for a child, but content with where I was in life.

One Wednesday night I slipped into the back row at church. I had to leave the class a few minutes early to help some children make their way back to the church van. A few minutes into the class my friend Sharon came and sat down beside me. As she was walking in she said, “I was just talking about you.” “Oh really?” was my reply. I had no clue how my life was about to change. Very casually she says, “Are you interested in adoption?” I sort of stammered an answer, “Well, I don’t know, maybe.”

She proceeded to tell me about her young friend that was expecting her second child. She was not going to be able to keep the baby and had just decided on adoption. Another friend had told Sharon about our past adoption experience. While Sharon is telling me a few details (keep in mind that this conversation is taking place during the class), she looks up and says, “Oh, there she is.”

My heart was about to beat out of my chest. Thankfully, Sharon and her friend stayed only a short time. There was no opportunity for an introduction or conversation. I have no idea what I would’ve said to her at that moment.

The rest of the evening I could think of nothing else. Tim was out of town and I knew that this was not a conversation we were going to have over the phone. This was definitely a face to face talk.

I spent the evening praying. And, as much of the next day as possible, while at work.

I tried calling Sharon a couple of different times over the next few days. I also tried calling another friend that was aware of the situation and had some of the details that I so desperately wanted. Oddly enough either I couldn’t get in touch with them or they couldn’t talk to me when I called. Finally I just prayed that if this was something we should pursue that God would open the door and show us exactly how to proceed.

After Tim returned from his business trip, he had to go out of town again right away. My father-in-law was hospitalized and had surgery while Tim was away. He felt he needed to be there with his parents.

Finally, once he returned we had a chance to talk. Tim reacted much as I’d expected. He was hesitant. Not because he didn’t want a child, but because the first experience was very painful. I still struggled with it too and wasn’t sure I could survive another disappointment. Ultimately we decided we would cautiously proceed. Basically we agreed to talk with her and see how we felt about it later.

To be continued……….


- by Jennifer
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing your thoughts!