Friday, May 21, 2010

Adoption Part 1: The Beginning of the Journey

This time of year is always bittersweet for me.  I love the newness of spring and the warmth of the sun.  However, I will forever associate this time of year with a difficult experience in my life. Three years ago my husband and I tried to adopt a baby. 

It happened on an early spring day.  It was a Thursday.  I was at my desk at work when I received the phone call.  There was a young mother expecting a baby.  For various reasons she was considering adoption.  Would we be interested?  Since we had not been seeking adoption and had never discussed adoption this came as quite a surprise.  My immediate reaction was, “of course we’re interested.”  But, I knew that I had to speak with my husband first.  At the time I was involved in something at my church that kept me away from home until later that night.  I knew this wasn’t a conversation to be had over the phone so I anxiously awaited the end of my day so that I could speak with my husband.

While he is naturally a bit more cautious than I and had some doubts, we discussed it and decided we wanted to know more.  It’s not every day that someone calls and wants to give you a baby.  Again, we had to exercise extreme patience by waiting until the following Tuesday until we could get some details.

We walked into the meeting filled with questions about the situation and the process.  We had absolutely no idea what we were getting into or really if we even wanted to proceed.  Sure, we would love to have a child, but never thought this would be the route we would take.  After the meeting, while we had some pertinent info, we were still filled with questions and concerns.  I remember, though, that we went to dinner after our meeting and we sat there and both said, “How can we know what we know about this child and NOT do this?”  From that point on, we still had questions along the way, but we never doubted the decision to take this child into our home and raise him or her as our child.

That day we embarked upon a journey that changed us forever. 

To be continued….

3 comments:

  1. Anxiously awaiting the continuation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    I remember this, I had forgotten when it happened, I know how excited you were, and I also remember how sad you were at the ending result. Time flies, but I am sure it will never take away the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, my heart aches for you when I remember this story. I was tearing up just reading your post. You and Tim are truly remarkable people and we love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!