Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Five for 8/10/12

This week I began teaching the 3rd - 5th grade Class on Wednesday nights. They are so much fun! I have decided to pull several resources together and create my own curriculum focusing on the Fruit of the Spirit. We will spend a month on each one, taking us through most of school year. We will also have a service project each month and I thought I'd share my plans for the first five months so that, if you want, you can put some of them to work with your own family.

Fruit if the Spirit Service Projects, August - December

1. August - "Love"
We'll be talking about different kinds of love: God's love for us, our love for Him and then finishing my showing our love for others. We plan to bake cookies together and then invite the congregation to stay after our Wednesday night service for cookies and milk.

2. September - "Joy"
To spread the joy of God, we are going to spend a Sunday afternoon singing for the residents of a local nursing home.

3. October - "Peace"
This was the toughest one for me to find a project that matched. I have finally decided that we will put together care packages for deployed soldiers who put their lives in harm's way so that we can have peace and freedom.

4. November - "Patience"
To practice patience, I am going to teach the kids to crochet scarves which will then be donated to the homeless.

5. December - "Kindness"
I plan to have our class show kindness by helping them to prepare meals which we will then deliver to some of the sick of our congregation.

And here's a bonus for you, every Wednesday night, my students have the assignment that, after class, they must hug two members of our congregation who are not related to them. You should have seen the smiling faces with all those hugs going around the other night! It was wonderful!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work!! NH is so lucky to have you. I got in on some of that hugging too. It made me realize I have fallen down on the job . Thanks for sharing your ideas. And if you need help, let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!