Monday, August 22, 2011

Son

What a treat... a week at my son's house in Jackson.  My husband was coming on the weekend for a cookout and we would have a leisurely trip home together.  Maybe spend some time in Nashville, where we lived for seven years. 

A phone call changed everything...

My son, who is a police officer, had left for work at 11:30 pm. on June 2, 2010.  Around
1:30 am. on June 3 my husband called and told me to sit down.  "Travis has been shot... all they know is he was shot four times, two were in the chest, he is conscious.  A police officer is coming to pick you up and I am on the way!"

It all happened in a moment... Praying...

I was begging God to spare my son's life.  My mind was racing...my heart was pounding... but the world somehow was in slow motion.   My heart kept pleading to my Father in Heaven...please God...he's my son.

When I arrived at the hospital there was a blur of police officers lining the halls.  I heard myself saying "Where's my son?"  Someone called to me and lead me into the ER, blood on the floor... the sheets...and I see him.  He raised his head and looked at me...  (why did he look 5 years old to me instead of the young man of 26 that he was)  He spoke, "Someone get my mom a chair!"

God is so good... impact plates and a police vest kept the two bullets from penetrating his heart, his leg would heal, and after surgery and rehab his shoulder would also heal.  His daddy and I would still hear his voice, his laughter, watch him tease his brother, teach God's Word,... lead his life.

During those difficult days the prayers, phone calls, and messages sustained us.  I kept thinking of a phrase in the song "A Common Love" which says..."A common strength when we're weary..."  We were physically and emotionally weary, however, our Spirit was being renewed by the blessing of being a part of God's loving family.

I pray we will never forget that God gave His Son for our sins...  Our Father in Heaven gave His only Son....for me and for you.  I cannot comprehend so great a sacrifice...  I know God must love us so very much.  Our God is an awesome God...Thank you, Father.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post. So thankful that things worked out the way they did and your son's life was spared. How is he doing today, any problems lingering from that day just a little over a year ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got tears reading this; can't imagine the shock in an occurrence that sudden and unexpected! I am thrilled that he was alright and so glad that you have shared your deeper appreciation of God's love and the love of a Christian family through that experience..thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!