Wednesday, August 31, 2011

God’s Providence

 

 
The word providence is defined in more than one way in The Random House College Dictionary Revised Edition.  The first definition is the foreseeing care and guardianship of God over His creatures.  There are people who claim they can predict the future, but no one knows the future.  Only God knows the future.  He knows what our future holds.  He knows what we have needed in the past, what we currently need and what we will need in the future.  Just think, things in our life may be happening today because of a future need that He sees.  Does that make sense?
 
Another definition of providence in the aforementioned dictionary is a manifestation of divine care or direction.  I believe in the providence of God.  I have seen the providence of God.  I have felt the providence of God.  I know that God has cared for and directed me in the past.  I know that my Redeemer lives and still cares for and directs me in this life.
 
Romans 8:28 is a favorite verse of many people.  It says “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  There are many examples in the Bible where God worked providentially in people’s lives.  There are many examples today where He is doing the same thing, working providentially behind the scenes in our lives for future good.  What are some ways that God has shown his providential care in your life? 
 
One example in my life and my family’s life is the adoption of my niece.  Things happened in my sister and brother-in-law’s life that led to her adoption.  They look back at those things and realize it was God’s providence.  I’m sure we can all think of a chain of events in our lives that led to something wonderful, a blessing from God.  I firmly believe in the providence of God with reference to my wonderful husband.  I won’t go into detail, but God worked behind the scenes to make our paths cross.  I don’t see how I would ever had met him had it not been for God’s providence.
 
Another more recent example is when my husband lost his job a few short months ago.  It wasn’t just my husband, it was his entire department, across the state, that was being cut.  At first, of course, everyone thinks that is terrible.  We thought the same thing.  But looking at it now, it actually was a good thing.  He now has a job at a great place that he likes.  This new job is more flexible.  He can work from home now some, which gives him more time with our son.  He actually was going to have to go to work somewhere that he didn’t really want to, but it was a job, so he was going to do it.  But within a matter of days, this other opportunity came up and was finalized.  Well, I don’t believe it just came up.  I believe that God answered our prayers and had been providentially taking care of us all along the way.  When we first heard about the job loss, of course there were mixed emotions.  I recall however not being that worried.  I knew that things would work out for the best.  During this time I had posted on facebook these words to that familiar song… “There are things about tomorrow, I don’t seem to understand, but I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand”.  I feel like things happen for a reason, whether we know and understand that reason or not.  I knew that God would provide.  And as always, He did.
 
I am reminded of a song “Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me”.  Part of the song says, “Chart and compass came from thee, Jesus, Savior, pilot me”.  I want Jesus to always be my pilot.  I am thankful that he is my chart and compass through life and that he is guiding me and providing for me.  May you see God’s providence in your life today.


 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful message Amy! Thank you for sharing. I would love to hear the the details behind how you met your husband some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Amy. I am living in God's providence in a very real way right now with Hannah. Isn't HE so wonderful. Great article.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!