Monday, June 14, 2010

Good Works

While my daughters and I were reading Titus the other day, we couldn’t help but notice how often Paul referred to good works. The phrase that really stuck was “be ready for every good work.” What does that mean? How can I? Don’t good works usually present themselves when you’re already in the middle of chaos? Since it takes all of my effort just to maintain the status quo, can I really plan for good works? I will admit that I am not quick to make connections. All day I meditated on that verse to try to figure out how that concept is applied. That evening while talking with my hubby I found myself answering my own question.

To be ready for every good work involves skill. What I am able to do, prepares me to serve. If I am able to cook, then I can serve by bringing food to elderly or sick people. If I am able to drive, then many needs could be met through driving. My home could be a place of providing fellowship through hospitality. Since any skill can be used to the glory of God, it is worthwhile to cultivate skills so that I can be “ready.” Some people buy or make cards of sympathy or encouragement in bulk so that they will be ready. Some stock up on homemade frozen meals or always keep ingredients in the pantry so that they may be prepared to host out-of-town Sunday visitors. Fasting and prayer on behalf of someone is not only a great service to them, but service to God. Smiling, saying a kind word, or simply holding your tongue when you don’t feel like it can also be good works. Certainly, older women teaching younger women to love their husbands and children, is a good work.

Attitude is integral to being “ready for every good work.” It involves willingness and selflessness. To be sure, it is rarely convenient to partake in good works. Occasionally, good works require something that’s easy to give, but I think that is the exception. They involve some sort of sacrifice of time, money, or effort; but can become a lifestyle, thus lessoning the difficulties as the above examples show.

Okay, I’ll confess. There once was a time when I didn’t know how to do good works without being directly tied to a ministry. Once my first child was born, all my work with ministries (which I loved) came crashing to an end. Here I was for the first time in my life (since age 3), living within the home without extrinsic motivations such as school, a job, or a ministry. None of the ministries seemed to fit this new Mommyhood lifestyle. I didn’t know what to do with myself and I longed to understand God’s purpose for my life. This was a difficult period. During that time I remember having lunch with a friend and mentioning that although I don‘t know my purpose, I do know that God gave me my husband and my daughter and so perhaps that is where I ought to start. Over the course of the next year my Grandmother became ill and passed away, I was ministered to by some women in the congregation whose actions and words were an example during that trial. They weren’t a part of a formal ministry and never stood out, so until then, I didn’t know their function within the body. Through their actions, I finally understood that good works could be done both in and out of organized ministries.

The scriptures make it clear that if we are God’s own we are commanded to do good works, but I wonder if God sometimes allows us to incubate for a time. Remember David so much wanted to build a temple for God, but God did not allow it. When I had to abandon all the ministries that I once worked with, that’s how I felt. God did allow David to start accumulating materials for the building. That’s how it was when I began turning my attention towards home. In those days I didn’t cook. I was no good at it. My mouth didn’t water when I read a recipe because spices seemed to me like a foreign language. Neither was I any good at housekeeping. I’ve never been tidy and I simply don’t like to clean. That’s a bad combo. However, I learned to be intrinsically motivated and do what needs to be done. Through the grace of God, I am more than I ever thought I could be. It wasn’t only what I learned to do though; it’s about who I’ve become. During the period that I didn’t think I was doing anything, I was becoming more like my Lord and Savior. I began the journey of leaving laziness, selfishness, and indulgence behind. This will likely be a lifelong struggle for me, but I’m on the road and I have joy in my heart. I am no longer lost and uncomfortable at home, but grateful to have learned God’s way for me.

Even if I’ve developed all kinds of skill in order to do good works, if I don’t make the time, I’ll never do them. This means that as a good steward, I will learn time-management. In order to keep our days as flexible as possible, I limit our classes. While my girls have taken some music, dance, art, etc. I try to keep our commitments to a minimum. If we have to chuck home school for a time so that we may participate in a good work, then we let it go. I have faith that God will prosper our education if He is put first. We can always make school work up another day, but opportunities lost cannot be made up. Learning is good, but Righteousness is better.

Oh yeah, stuff… I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that stuff could also be a tool for good works. What stuff to you have that might be used to benefit others? If you have so much mammon that you only have time to serve it, then it’s time to let some of it go. Otherwise, use and enjoy what you have for the glory of God.

In summary, all that I have, am, and can do, He is able to use and multiply. Please, don’t think this is an inclusive exposition; it is just my thoughts. I’d love to hear what you do to be ready.
1. Titus 3:1
2. Luke 2:37
3. I Sam 2:30b, Jn 12:26

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that post. I often find myself overwhelmed by thoughts of, "What else should I be doing? Am I doing enough?" Sometimes, though, I find myself slipping away from God when I let that happen; I find myself trying to do too much, and not committing myself to only a few good things at a time. Instead, I appreciate your thought that perhaps God allows us to "incubate" for awhile. This comforts me. I have spent the last few days reading the Bible a lot, and today I stopped and asked myself, "Should I be doing something different instead of sitting here just reading?" But, I see now that perhaps He WOULD have me to spend these "free hours" in His Word; perhaps He is planning to show me through my reading which ministries I should pour myself into. It amazes me to read a post like this, and see how perfectly He connects the thoughts and lives of His servants. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post! I need to do a lot more to be ready. Thanks for the reminder that good works doesn't mean exclusively going on a mission trip or doing this or doing that. You said it can also mean smiling or saying a kind word. Sometimes I think people feel like the card sent or whatever is not going to make that much of a difference, but it does!! Every good work means EVERY, big or small in our eyes! It's something I definitely could work on being more ready for.

    - Amy C

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!