Thursday, December 8, 2011

Waiting in Line


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. Now we are just a few days away from Christmas. Crazy, huh? Speaking of crazy, were you one of the ‘crazies’ that were out on Thanksgiving night waiting in a parking lot somewhere? When I say ‘crazies’ I mean it in a good way and I am also referring to myself. My niece and I went to Best Buy around 8:00 and there were about 100 people in front of us. And of course throughout the evening, people were behind us wrapped around the building. We waited until 10:00 when they passed out tickets for certain items. We didn’t get the ticket we went for, but we waited until 12:00 since we had already waited so long and ended up getting a few good deals. This got me to thinking about the waiting in line people do, especially on black Friday and of course now on Thanksgiving night. People were camped out at Best Buy since Wednesday! So they spent Thanksgiving day in a parking lot. They must have taken shifts or something. I don’t know. But people, myself included, will wait in line for hours for stuff – material items that will not matter when this life is over. Matthew 6:19-21 says “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroys, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” As I was saying earlier, this got me to thinking. We will wait in line for a material item for hours. I wonder if we would wait in line for hours to hear the gospel preached? We will sit and watch a movie with no problem, even a long movie, but we have a fit if the preacher goes over a few minutes. I wonder if we would wait in line for hours to help people in need? Or are we like the priest and Levite who passed on by, not even lending a few minutes let alone hours to help someone in need. I wonder if we would wait in line for hours to see Jesus? Luke 8:40 says “And as Jesus returned, the people welcomed Him, for they had all been waiting for Him.” The verse doesn’t say how long they waited, but the fact is they waited. If we can wait for hours for a ‘thing’ why can’t we spend hours (or even one hour) in reading the word of God? Now you may do so and that is great; but, shamefully, I admit that I do not spend hours in the word of God on a daily basis. I write this to encourage myself, and if it encourages someone else along the way, then wonderful. Come next Thanksgiving, you will possibly find me in a parking lot somewhere waiting for something. I just hope that between now and then I would have spent that same amount of time and hopefully lots more in the things that will really matter when this life is ore. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts with you. I would love to hear your thoughts as well. I wish you and yours a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2012!


Proverbs 8:34 “Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at my doorposts.”


-------
By Amy
------


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this article. Provoking thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, thought provoking message. Thanks Ames!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder. Studying for my own personal growth is something I am trying to get back to as well.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your thoughts!